Monday, September 13, 2010

Green Thumbs

We tried our hand at a little bit of gardening this summer. This was my first time ever having a garden. I grew some strawberries when I was a kid, but besides that this was new territory for me. We had a lot of fun picking out seeds, planting seeds, making plant name tags and now EATING the small but yummy bounty of veggies!

We have three boxes. We planted tomatoes, 2 kinds of cucumbers, carrots, onions, beets, peas (which were eaten by a deer, boooo) peppers, cilantro, basil, and sage. I think we went a little over board in our variety. The boxes were a bit crowded and the little hands that put the seeds in the soil didn't care much for the spacing guidelines. So we ended up with pretty short and small veggies. Stella was a little disappointed when she pulled out the beets. Not quite like the beets at the farmers market.


But we all had fun planting and picking. It even proves that if you allow your kids to take part in their food they are more likely to eat it. And boy did Sydney surprise us. One night for dinner she ate raw carrots and raw beet slices. FOR DINNER!! no gagging. just "mmmmmm's" . That is proof enough for me to want to make our whole yard into a veggie garden. Maybe next year???
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

The Yorks said...

I love it!! I'm totally impressed that you took this on Allison, especially without prior experience. You're an inspiration. Maybe I'll get there some day. Good parenting observation too. Duely noted!

Bethany said...

good job with the garden! Loved the pictures too. Don't worry, it was a funky weather year. Our garden did all sorts of crazy things and didn't perform like in the past. Next year will be different.

I love that they'll eat the veggies. Sometimes when Tori doesn't like what's for dinner she heads out the garden to fill-up on tomatoes and carrots.